As part of Toy Libraries Australia’s Covid-Safe plan approved by public health officials,
all members are required to thoroughly clean their toys prior to returning them to the toy library.
If you do not clean your toys at home, you will be requested to clean them in the toy library.
We thank you for keeping all our members safe.
How to clean
Wipe the toy thoroughly with a pH neutral detergent, such as diluted dishwashing detergent on a damp dish cloth. You can use something like an old toothbrush or a cotton bud to get into hard to reach places.
Dry the toy with a tea towel or leave to dry overnight. Please make sure the toy is perfectly dry before returning it to its bag or box. Do not submerge toys in water as they can trap water inside them or in the case of wooden toys, they can get too wet to effectively dry.
- Baby Rattles – Do not to immerse rattles in water as they collect water which can lead to harmful bacteria
developing. Wipe the surface with a cloth.
- Wooden Toys and Train Sets – Wipe over. Allow time to thoroughly dry. These toys should not be immersed
- Duplo/Lego – Wash well with hot soapy water and a toothbrush. Rinse and leave to drain overnight.
- Bath Toys – Please wash after using in the bath and ensure no water remains trapped in the toy.
- Outdoor/Sandpit Toys – These must be cleaned well remembering that the next member may wish to use it
inside. Remove all sand and dirt and clean well with hot soapy water.
- Board Games and Cardboard Puzzles – Paper-based materials, such as puzzles and games, are not
considered a high risk for transmission and do not need additional cleaning or disinfection procedures. Please
clean counters and other plastic parts of a game.
- Fabric items (Dress-ups/Puppets/Dolls Bedding) – Hand wash or gentle machine wash
with laundry detergent and hang to thoroughly line dry.
- Bikes, scooters and other ride-ons – These must be washed, keeping in mind that the next member may
wish to use them inside.
- Toy storage bags and boxes – Wipe handles and all areas that have been touched, ensuring everything is
dry before placing toys back in them.